Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Panels use energy from the sun and convert it to electricity for your home. They can provide enough power for all of your property’s requirements.
What are Solar PV Panels?
Solar PV Panels consist of many cells made from layers of semi-conducting material, most commonly silicon. When light shines on this material, a flow of electricity is created.
The first question we are normally asked is ‘do they work in the UK as we don’t get much sun?’ The answer is yes, solar panels do work on cloudy days. It is a fact that the stronger the sunshine the more electricity is produced, but even on overcast days the cloud is still penetrated by a sufficient amount of solar radiation, enough to generate electricity.
How do Solar PV Panels work?
Solar photovoltaic (PV) panels are made up using photovoltaic cells that capture solar radiation (energy) from the sun and convert it into electricity. The cells are set between semi-conducting materials, usually silicon. When light shines on the material it becomes energised and creates a flow of electricity. The solar cells don’t need direct sunlight to generate electricity as they react to visible light therefore allowing them to work even on cloudy days.
The electricity must then pass through an inverter to make it suitable for use in the home. The solar cells initially generate a DC current (direct current) which must be converted to an AC current (alternating current) before being useable. The inverter is normally positioned inside your home and as close to the solar panels as possible, such as the loft or garage. Micro inverters are also available and tuck beneath each solar panel.
Benefits of having Solar PV Panels?
If you are interested in solar PV panels but you are unsure if it is the right thing for you, your home, here are a few benefits certainly outweigh the negatives.
Here are a few good reasons to choose solar panels.
- Solar power is a truly renewable energy source, while ever there is light, solar panels will continue to provide electricity.
- Solar panels reduce your energy bills as you are generating your own electricity.
- It is possible to receive payments for the electricity that you generate and do not use.
- Producing your own electric protects your home or your business against future energy price rises.
- Reduced energy bills appeal to buyers and will increase the value of your property.
- Most solar panel installations don’t require any planning permission and can be installed in 1-2 days depending on the size of the project.
- Once installed, solar panels require very little maintenance and there is no cost after the initial payment.
- When used with battery storage you can use the generated power at night, when dark, or when there is a power cut.
- Solar panels generate electricity silently meaning that there is no noise for you or your neighbours.